Monday 18 February 2013

ES2007S: Application Letter Critique


Samantha
92 Sunshine Walk S(123456)
Mobile: 91234567
Email: email@address.com

30 January 2013

Mr Jonathan Tan
Section Manager
Engineering Operations
XYZ Company
10 Fairfield Drive S(456782)

Dear Mr Tan,

Application for position of Process & Equipment Shift Engineer

XYZ Company is one of the world’s leading semiconductor companies and has recently been listed under Thomson Reuters Top 100 Most Innovative Organizations. I am keen to start my career in this global organization as a Process & Equipment Shift Engineer.

As a final year undergraduate from the Engineering Science Programme specializing in nanotechnology from National University of Singapore (NUS), I have undertaken modules, such as Semiconductor Technology, which I believe would maximize my potential in this position. For my final year project, I am working on titanium dioxide (TiO2), where I am required to change its properties. This has helped me to gain a deeper understanding about the properties of semiconductors.

Furthermore, over my course of study, I have been involved in three design projects. These projects have honed by team building skills after working with different team mates for each individual project. I have also learnt to adapt to the different working styles of each member, to communicate and work together effectively to achieve our project objectives. I believe this skill is crucial as a process & equipment shift engineer, as I will be required to work closely with my team, and to be able to communicate effectively with the members on the subsequent shift.

In addition, I have been actively involved in several student organizations. I am currently the captain for the squash (female) team in X Hall, and has designed and led the team in weekly trainings, which eventually led us to securing a gold in the Inter-Hall Games 2013. I was also the chairperson of the X Hall Orientation Committee that organized a camp for 250 freshmen, where I planned, executed and oversaw the entire process of the event.

Thank you for your time to review my application. I enclosed my resume for your consideration. I look forward to a face-to-face interview with you to discuss my suitability for this position. I can be contacted at 91234567 or email@address.com at your convenience.

Yours sincerely,




Samantha 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha!

    I like your application letter as you use good english and you highlight specifically how your course of study and modules tie in with the company's specialization.

    However, one thing that can be improved would be the paragraph in which you mention your leadership positions in your hall. it could be better if you mention how these positions have shaped you or helped you grow in your leadership skills, and how it will be relevant to what the company needs.

    otherwise, i think this letter is pretty well-crafted. :) congratulations on getting a gold, and all the best for your job search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baowen for your comments and congratulatory message! (:

      Delete
  2. Hi Samantha,

    I think this is a generally well crafted letter. It is easy to follow and well organised. What stood out for me was the 3rd paragraph where you skillfully linked your experience gained in managing the three projects to the job requirements.

    However, one factor that could help your letter stand out from the rest could be elaborating on why you are keen to start your career as a Process & Equipment Shift Engineer. That might give you the edge over others. Also, just a minor language issue.
    >I enclosed my resume for your consideration. ~ I have enclosed...

    Nevertheless, I think your letter does successfully show the reader the qualities that you want to exhibit.

    Dwayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dwayne, thanks for your comments! You're right, I should state a reason for applying for this position instead of other roles. (:

    ReplyDelete