Friday 19 April 2013

ES2007S: Reflection on Oral Presentation

Oral presentation (OP) ended on Tuesday for me, and it was a load off my shoulders. The preparation towards OP has certainly allowed me to learn several lessons.

As a preparation for the final OP, we had a mock OP that allowed us to present in front of another group. I'm usually bad at finding words at the last minute, so I prepared a script for OP and memorized it before presenting. At the end of the mock OP, the comment I got was that I was a bit fidgety during my presentation. We gave comments to our group members and members of the other group as well. The most common problems were the excessive usage of fillers and to keep referring to scripts, all of which are issues that can be eliminated with more practice.

Then came Friday, where two groups had their final OP. I remember Brad saying that during OP, the audience's attention should be on the speaker, not on the slides. Hence, it is important to engage the audience via body language and eye contact, and it would be even better if the speaker can just speak to the audience without referring to the slides. We also talked about whether it would be better to present with or without writing and memorizing a script beforehand. (I think only 1 of the presenters that day did not come up with a script before presenting.) The advantage of memorizing a script before presenting is that you'll probably be very fluent when you speak. However, the down side is that you may be caught in a situation when your mind goes blank and you forget your speech and hence, be caught in a situation where there is an awkward silence while you are trying to recall the things to say. This would not happen if we only remembered only the main points of the presentation and made up our speech as we present.

Finally, it was my group's turn to present. After what we learnt last Friday, I decided to take a risk and present without memorizing the script even though I had one written. There were times when I couldn't find the words to say and hence, repeated what was written in the slides. There were also times when my group mates observed that I broke eye contact with the audience when I was trying to recall my points. Also, I thought I used a fair bit of fillers (but no comments were made on that), and I actually felt nervous and thought I spoke quite fast. To my surprise, the comment I got from the class was that it was good that I helped to slow down the pace of my group's presentation.

So, having completed OP, I think that most of the problems that we face during presentation, such as the usage of fillers and our body language, can be changed with more practice. With more practice and confidence, I also think that we will learn to present without having to write scripts beforehand!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha,

    I must applaud you for discarding your script during the mock oral presentation. You challenged yourself not to rely on your script and that impressed me greatly. Being your group mate for this project, watching you practice during our private practice session before the actual oral presentations, I saw the vast improvement in your oral presentation. You performed really well for the actual presentation.Even when you were caught in a situation where you could not find your words (as mentioned in your blog post), you still managed to stay calm and present professionally. I saw the effort that you made in trying to improve and learn along the way, from the mock to the actual presentations.

    I have to agree that you were speaking at a moderate speed as compared to me and it was definitely easier to follow when the speaker is speaking at a comfortable pace. Perhaps, the thing that you can improve on is to avoid being at a loss for words. You can try preparing a list of synonyms beforehand, so that you can interchange your words during any oral presentation and your audience will not feel that you are repeating yourself or reading off your slides. Other than this, I think you impressed me.

    Sharlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharlene! I definitely have to brush up on my english so that I will be more fluent and won't be at a loss for words! >.<

      Delete
  2. Hi Samantha,

    I'm so sorry for missing your group's presentation. However, from the peer teaching and mock interview, I think the pace of your presentations are nice, and you manage to express your ideas in very clear and concise manner.

    Actually, I think it's better if you can speed up a bit, maybe like you have done for the proposal presentation. Sometimes I feel you speak a little bit slow (maybe it because I usually speak too fast......).

    Overall, I also agree with Sharlene that you have improved a lot :-)

    It was really nice to have worked with you in the same HR group, it was the first time I learnt about the ethical questions in the interview. Thanks a lot~

    All the best for your exams.

    Warmest regards,
    Zhiwei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zhiwei! I actually think that speaking a bit faster will be more persuasive? And since it was the first time you learnt about the ethical questions, does it mean that business students have no ethics? :p I'm just kidding! (:

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Samantha, for this detailed explanation of the OP's various stages and your experience. I've already commented on the presentation in the feedback, but I want you to know that I appreciate the insights offered by this reflection. I also applaud your willingness to throw out the script for this presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Samantha!

    I did not realise that you threw out your script! That being said, your presentation was impressive considering the changes you made the day before. I found your pacing to be just right. It was easy to follow what you find to say which are often not found on the slides.

    One thing to note though, is that you sounded a little monotonous at certain parts. Maybe you can work on being your tones to sound more persuasive. Nevertheless, you did a great job! It was a pleasure to work with you and I hope you get the job of your dreams!

    Xiao Wei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Xiao Wei, I do think that I get a little monotonous at times. ): Got to learn from the three of you to vary my tone more! (:

      Delete